The Digital Nomad Visa in a nutshell
A digital nomad visa is a document or program that gives someone the legal right to work remotely while residing away from their country of permanent residence.
Within Greece, a digital nomad visa gives anyone to opportunity to live and work anywhere in Greece independently and remotely from the comfort of their optimum environment.
What is the status offered by the Digital Nomad Visa?
Holders of a Digital Nomad Visa have the right of legal residence within the Greece, and with absolutely no access right to Greek dependent employment or any business activity in Greece.
Who qualifies for a Digital Nomad Visa?
Non EU nationals who are either dependent employees or self employed individuals, who work remotely as part of a company or who have private clients outside of Greece, who work and rely on the internet and Information Technologies.
Who issues the Digital Nomad Visa?
The Greek consular authority of the place of main residence of the applicant is competent to issue a Digital Nomad Visa, by applying a fast track process.
The Digital Nomad residence permit is issued by the competent authority of the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum.
What are the requirements of the Digital Nomad Visa?
According to Article 18(1)(h) of Law 4251/14, an application for a Digital Nomad Visa must be accompanied by the following documents:
1. A valid passport (Photocopies of all pages);
2. Valid entry visa (Type D Visa or Tourist Visa);
3. 4 x recent photos in physical and digital format (cd);
4. Fee €1000 (code 2111);
5. Fee €16 (code 2119);
6. An insurance policy of a private insurance company;
7. Responsible declaration that the applicant will be working remotely for an employer based outside of the Greek territory;
8. Proof of Employment (or project contract) by natural or a legal entity, established outside the Greek territory, for an indefinite period or a fixed-term;
9. Information about the position of the applicant vis-à-vis the employer/company, as well as information relating to the brand, the headquarters, the field of activity and the corporate business purpose (in the event that the applicant is self-employed in his own business, he/she is required to provide proof that they are contractually or self employed persons working remotely with employers and/or clients outside of Greece).
10. Evidence that the applicant has sufficient resources in the form of a stable income to cover their basic living expenses during their stay in Greece and that the applicant in no way poses a threat to the national social welfare system of Greece. The amount of sufficient resources is set at 3,500 euros per month. A bank account statement must be provided wherein the monthly payment of the salary is established (the aforesaid minimum amount refers to net income after payment of required taxes in the country of employment). For cohabitant and spousal arrangements, the minimum income amount is increased by 20% as well as an additional 15% for each dependant minor (child).
11. Residential lease or property purchase contract in the Greek Territory (only if the person concerned has entered with another type of visa entry and not with the prescribed special national entry visa type D).
All documents submitted which are not in the Greek language must have the prescribed translation into Greek.
Do my family members qualify for a Visa?
Family members are eligible for an individual visa, which is valid for the same period as the digital nomad visa, however it does not provide right of employment or professional activity in Greece.
How long is a Digital Nomad Visa valid?
Applications for the Digital Nomad Visa must be filed before the expiration of 90 days from entering Greece. A Digital Nomad Visa is valid for a period of up to 12 months. However, if the applicant estimates that they will require more than 12 months in order to complete their work or wish to extend the duration of their stay in Greece, then prior to the expiration date of the Visa they will be required to apply for the issuance of a Digital Nomad residence permit, which is valid for a period of 2 years (with an option to renew). In such case, family members are also eligible.
At Amoiridis Law Services thanks to our longstanding experience, we are able to provide a full package of consultancy services to our almost exclusively international clientele, customised to their specific needs.
As a result, we have represented clients from all around the globe regarding their projects in Greece. Our network of associate experts, composed by both in-house and external solicitors, notaries, accountants, tax experts, enables us to provide an all-in-one package of consultancy services.
For any further information and clarifications please do not hesitate to contact our qualified legal team, ready to provide you with further personalized information tailored to your needs and your profile.
You can email us: or call/text us directly at: +306908351705 (WhatsApp/Viber)
Athens, September 2022